Vacuum cleaners are increasingly demanded over the past decades. Those useful machines help boost up the efficiency in house cleaning and women now have more quality time to relax. There are hundreds of vacuum on the market but it can be classified into six main types, namely upright, canister, stick, wet/dry, handheld and robotic vacuum. Among them, the last one is the most advanced and superior to the rest in many aspects. Robot vacuum have been on the market for almost two decades now and the first ever robot vacuum is the Trilobite, from Electrolux. Most sophisticated robot vacuums have ability of changing their directions automatically and it means people can leave it to the robot vacuum, continue doing their own work and get a spotless room when they come back. In this post, I will start compare iRobot’s two successful models, Roomba 650 and 655 according to their similarities and differences.
SIMILARITIES OF ROOMBA 650 VS 655
The most noticeable feature is both models belong to robot type. They are pretty costly, around $300; therefore, most of middle and high-income families can afford them. Moreover, both are similar in canister shape, so they work well on upholsteries like beds, sofas, under furniture and more. And, both are quite lightweight.
Roomba 655 vs 650 have some similar basic features: both also have 3-Stage Cleaning Systems that maximize cleaning performance. The powerful 3-Stage Cleaning System with Edge-Sweeping Brush is designed to loosen, lift and suction dust from all types of floor. Secondly, they can self-recharge and automatically adjust according to floor types for cleaning harder or more gently. Plus, it has the Wall Technology, dirt detection and iAdapt navigation features that make it easier for the smart floor cleaner to detect and clean out the dirt around the house.
13.4 x 3.6 x 13.4 inches
Check on Amazon
13.4 x 13.4 x 3.6 inches
Check on Amazon
SPECIFIC ROOMBA 655 VS 650 REVIEW
Both Roomba 655 and 650 have its own advantages and disadvantages based on some special features. I hope you can find a perfect model for your own family:
Nowadays, people tend to look for a product to look attractive and stunning beside its quality. The more sophisticated it looks, the more expensive it is. Therefore, many manufacturers attract customers’ attention through product appearance. It is vital for a best-selling robotic vacuum to be both functional and attractive. Let look at more details:
– Roomba 650: The appearance of this vacuum is quite attractive. It is a model belonging to iRobot’s black, minimalistic series. Besides, its dimensions are quite appealing too as the size also plays an important role in house cleaning. The Roomba 650 can easily reach spots under bed or furniture. Moreover, it is pretty lightweight, so the machine work smoothly and do not make any loud noise.
– Roomba 655: the vacuum is uniquely designed and looks quite different from other traditional iRobot models. The machine is so sophisticated that you cannot take your eyes off it. iRobot said they want to try something different and actually, they succeed. I believe the robotic vacuum Roomba 655 will catch your eye immediately. The dimension parameters are quite similar to Roomba 650, but with the weight of 7.9 pounds, much lighter than Roomba 650, this vacuum is very lightweight and portable. It is perfect for cleaning hard-to-reach positions such as under furniture, under beds or corners, etc.
The machine’s performance is the most important as it affects our decisions. If it cannot perform at an acceptance level, we should think of alternatives. In short, in spite of stunning looks, I believe the capability of completing its task is still one of the ultimate factors before buying a vacuum.
- Roomba 650: In general, Roomba 650 is known for its excellent performance. The machine has some good features and can do wonders if used properly. In fact, Roomba 650 is a random robotic vacuum cleaner and does not understand well the surroundings, which means it has hard time figuring out what is needed more or less cleaning. Therefore, in order for Roomba 650 work efficiently, it is necessary to place a Virtual Wall. Besides, 3-Stage Cleaning System plays an important role in perfect cleaning performance as it can clean tiles, carpets, rugs, hardwood and more. In addition, you can schedule the cleaning timetable by setting time throughout the week and Roomba 650 can work according to your command. Last but not least, the auto-docking feature makes Roomba 650 a desired vacuum. The Roomba 650 will notice the battery capacity and it runs lows, then return to the docking station to get a full recharge.
- Roomba 655: like Roomba 650, the machine can’t fully understand its surroundings but if we place a Virtual Walls, the Roomba 655 can be more effective. The Roomba 655 also improves battery endurance that it can work longer than Roomba 650, about 80-90 minutes. Also, another interesting feature is the Cliff Detection sensor that prevents the vacuum from falling down the stairs. The dustbin is larger too and it means it can hold more dust and you do not need to discharge the bin frequently. However, it does not have a full bin indicator so you have to check manually. It also can be scheduled beforehand.
This is the most concerned feature when it comes to cleaning machine.
- Roomba 650: like it is said above, in order to maximize its potential, we need to place a Virtual Walls. Many customers are amazed by the fact that Roomba 650 can perfectly clean out dust, fur, hair and fibers or whatever stands on its way. Moreover, Roomba 650 accesses to corners more effectively and picks three to fourfold more dust, compared to the previous models. One drawback is that you should keep eyes on it as it can easily get confused and sometimes get stuck under the furniture. In addition, you are better check the dustbin manually and discharge the dust as it does not have full bin indicator.
- Roomba 655: the iRobot has improved the side brush of Roomba 655, which makes it easy to remove debris and dirt. It can work well on different surfaces and make it spotless from dust, fur, sand, fibers and more. The enhanced battery life is another factor to make Roomba 655 a better performer. The machine works longer and the charging time takes less time too. Unlike Roomba 650, when you leave Roomba 650 on its own, it never once gets stuck. It works wonders even if you are not around. However, the Roomba 655 has got the same problems like the 650 about dustbin and poor understanding of surroundings.
Battery and power
Another important feature is the power. Roomba 650 and 655 are different in terms of battery which depends on the technology and usage purpose.
- Roomba 650: this machine uses the Yellow Advanced Power System Ni-MH Battery. The battery life changes based on the usage and environment, so you are better to use it carefully.
- Roomba 655: The iRobot Roomba 655 uses the purple XLife Extended Life Battery which doubles the time before you need to replace the battery. Actually, the battery life of Roomba 655 is longer than that of Roomba 650.
If you buy a Roomba 655, you are likely to have an extra bristle brush, an extra side brush and an extra rubber brush. Meanwhile, the Roomba 650 does not come with any extra brushes.
What customers say?
- The Roomba 650 gets very good feedbacks from its users. 71% of the customers on Amazon give it 5 star out of 5. Most of them are satisfied with the results as compared to the price. Many families love this porducts as it is a powerful vacuum and aslo does not make much noise. However, the Roomba 650 is complained about easily getting stuck.
- The Roomba 655 is one of the best seeling products on Amazon. Up to 76% of the customers are happy to own one and give it 5 stars for being a great vacuum. Pet owners are satisfied with the capability of cleaning out pet hair perfectly. However, some people are disappointed with its performance on carpets and rugs.
In general, both Roomba 650 and 655 is wonderful on its own. With quite reasonable prices, families from middles class can effortlessly own one.